BackBox Linux is an Ubuntu-based distribution developed to perform penetration tests and security assessments. It’s ery fast and easy to use distro that includes all of the best-known ethical hacking tools. BackBox Linux has its own software repositories, which are always updated to the latest stable versions of the included security analysis and hacking tools.
BackBox Linux: Security Assessment and Penetration Testing Distro
BackBox is fast and easy to use penetration testing and security assessments distribution based on Ubuntu core. With its own software repositories, you’ll have access to all necessary tools (regularly updated), that you need for your pentesting and security analysis tasks, organized in three main categories:
- auditing, services and anonymous.
- Lightweight Linux distribution based on Ubuntu (should work well even on the old hardware). Standard Xfce desktop environment.
- Launchpad repository core, constantly updated to the latest stable version of the most known and used ethical hacking tools.
- Includes some of the most commonly known/used hacking and security analysis tools (web application analysis, network analysis, stress tests, sniffing, vulnerability assessment, forensic analysis, exploitation tools, etc.).
- Built-in anonymous mode.
- Well organized and designed menu, intuitive, friendly and easy to use (also suitable for beginners).
- You can change/modify it to suit your needs, and install additional tools, thet aren’t present in the repositories.
- and so much more.
- 32-bit or 64-bit processor
- 1024 MB of system memory (RAM)
- 10 GB of disk space for installation
- Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution
- DVD-ROM drive or USB port (3 GB)
Some of the BackBox Linux Tools
BackBox Linux Install
Download the latest BackBox version.
- Insert the BackBox disk into your CD drive.
- Start/restart your computer.
Try BackBox without installing.
Install BackBox Linux. The Language screen appears.
- Select your desired language and click
- Select the location closest to your location and click
- Choose where you want to put BackBox and click
- Enter the requested information, and click Forward. The Ready to install window appears.
- Verify that the language, layout, location, and personal information are correct and click
For detailed explanations, installation proccess on Virtual Box and VMWARE, click the documentation button below.